South Lake Tahoe is a legendary wintertime destination – and summers aren’t too shabby around here, either. But at our Famous Cabin vacation rental in the heart of the South Shore, we like to encourage guests to “think outside peak season” and look to one of our favorite times of the year in Lake Tahoe: autumn.
Here are just a few reasons why a fall vacation to South Lake Tahoe is well worth your consideration:
1. Fewer crowds. Once back-to-school is in effect come late August and September, the crowds thin and you can enjoy plenty of space on the beach to lay down your blanket, shorter lines at restaurants, discounts on various activities, and more.
Take advantage of quieter, less-trafficked mountain trails, too, where you can fully immerse yourself in the secluded, hushed natural beauty of Tahoe.
2. Temperatures are absolutely perfect. Golden sunshine, vivid blue skies, and near-perfect temperatures create ideal conditions for getting out on the trails and water for hiking, mountain biking, SUP, kayaking and more – all without working up too much of a sweat. Average daily temps range from highs in the 60s and 70s during the daytime to the 30s and 40s in the evening. Perfect sweater weather!
3. The water is still (fairly) warm, too. After you come down from your trail adventures on the mountain, hardier types can still take a dip in Lake Tahoe in the fall, as well. Water temps average 60 degrees in autumn – so it’s definitely brisk. But then again, South Lake Tahoe usually is, peaking at only about 68 degrees in August.
At the Famous Cabin, we are one of the closest cabins to El Dorado Beach, one of South Lake Tahoe’s best beaches located just across the street. Even if you don’t go swimming, you can still enjoy the beauty of pristine Lake Tahoe from dry land.
4. The Aspens. Need we say more? The alpine beauties that cover our mountains are at their peak golden color in early October. Pack a picnic lunch and take a day trip drive while observing the aspen’s spectacular, fire-like beauty.
For great leaf-peeping, try peaceful Hope Valley, located just a 30-minute drive from South Lake Tahoe. Check out the Alpine County Chamber of Commerce’s Guide to Fall Colors for more info!
5. Hot cocoa and a fire in the fireplace. Now’s the time to get cozy. With brisk temps after the sun goes down, you can light a fire in the gas fireplace (we have two at the Famous Cabin!), wrap yourself in a blanket, heat a cup of hot cocoa, and enjoy the first chill in the air. Add a movie on the 75” flat-screen and you’ve got the makings of the perfect autumn evening!
Interested in coming to stay at the Famous Cabin? Contact us at (530) 955-1004 or send us an email. Be sure to mention South Lake Tahoe and The Famous Cabin in your email. We hope to see you soon!